Pages

Let's Connect

Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest Follow on Goodreads

Monday, January 19, 2015

Ticker

19223830 

A girl with a clockwork heart must make every second count.

SYNOPSIS:

When Penny Farthing nearly dies, brilliant surgeon Calvin Warwick manages to implant a brass “Ticker” in her chest, transforming her into the first of the Augmented. But soon it’s discovered that Warwick killed dozens of people as he strove to perfect another improved Ticker for Penny, and he’s put on trial for mass murder.

On the last day of Warwick’s trial, the Farthings’ factory is bombed, Penny’s parents disappear, and Penny and her brother, Nic, receive a ransom note demanding all of their Augmentation research if they want to see their parents again. Is someone trying to destroy the Farthings...or is the motive more sinister?

Desperate to reunite their family and rescue their research, Penny and her brother recruit fiery baker Violet Nesselrode, gentleman-about-town Sebastian Stirling, and Marcus Kingsley, a young army general who has his own reasons for wanting to lift the veil between this world and the next. Wagers are placed, friends are lost, romance stages an ambush, and time is running out for the girl with the clockwork heart.

REVIEW:  

 First of all can I just gush over this cover?! Absolutely GORGEOUS! I would have this framed in my room. I know you aren't supposed to pick books based on their cover but this one just draws you right in!!

Ticker was a unique steampunk novel that was utterly intriguing. The story kept me interested and had me turning pages through the night.The strong willed, hard headed female lead we find in Penny is wonderful. She seems like a girl I could be friends with,

I really liked all of the inventions and mechanical stuff involved in Ticker. My one complaint would be the fact that Mantchev doesn't describe everything in great detail so you have to kind of figure out what she is talking about yourself.

*SPOILER ALERT*
The romances throught the movel was really cute. The sparks between Marchus and Penny reminded me of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed that they bicker constantly, think they can't stand eachother and then realize that they have feelings for one another.

*END SPOILER ALERT*

I thought the mystery that carries on through the entire novel was wonderful. The story did seem a little ruched. I think Ticker would have made a much better series than a stand alone book so that there was more time to grow the characters, the relationships and the story. 
  
Overall this was a really interesting novel that certainly helped me when I was missing Gail Carrigers world. 

RATING:

WHAT TO READ NEXT...
(Or if you liked these books you should read Ticker!)

 
  



 


No comments:

Post a Comment