Pages

Let's Connect

Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest Follow on Goodreads

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Short Stories for Halloween!

17206795 

SYNOPSIS: (From Goodreads)

Death guides usually have rather normal names like John, Mary, Harry, and Jessica. And even ones not quite so normal, like Bartholomew or Ambrosia. They also have the most interesting tales behind their deaths. But one particular death guide has a few problems: she cannot remember her name or the details of her demise, and thus has no story of her own. One fateful night, she meets a young girl that may change her death forever.

Inspired by and in the style of Children's tales of old, The Death of Death is a tragic, yet sweet little tale about loss and acceptance.

Suitable for ages 12 and up


REVIEW:

A cute short story about Death and the so called Grim Reaper. I definitely wish it had been meatier and had more to it as I really liked the way the story was going and the concept but I was unsatisfied by how short it actually was. (Though it is a short story so I should have been ready for that.) Ultimately though it was well written and kept my attention and is a great quick read.

This would probably make a good bedtime story as the nights lead up to Halloween.

RATING:  3/5 Stars


15853977 

SYNOPSIS: (From Goodreads)

The Island of the Dolls is a strange and eerie tourist destination in Mexico, where hundreds of decomposing dolls hang from trees like grisly Christmas ornaments. On a trip to the island, Joyce Parker's daughter falls in love with a beautiful but sinister doll. Soon after, she starts developing strange mannerisms that concerns Joyce. Her research into the doll's past reveals a dark history, and the curse of a lonely child spirit.

REVIEW:

 If you like stories about creepy dolls and doll possession you will probably enjoy The Doll by J.C. Martin.While reading The Doll I couldn't help thinking about Chucky (which is one doll I absolutely abhor and scares the living daylights out of me). It was well written and told a really interesting story. Again I wish it was longer (I am someone who reads mainly series because I hate to love a book and not know more about the characters. I don't do too well with short stories.) After I read this I went and saw Annabelle and I couldn't help thinking about the short story the whole time. So I would say that the writing and story telling was about on par with that film. Somewhat predictable but still interesting and fun.

Again this would make a great spooky story to tell around the campfire or at bedtime.

RATING: 4/5 Stars

WHO SHOULD READ THIS?

           If you are either:                                                                                                                                                                           A) A Fan of these two freaks or                                                                                                                                       B) These two scare the crap out of you and you are looking for a good creepy story.


1 comment: