Pages

Let's Connect

Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest Follow on Goodreads

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Archie is back, with a lot more bite!



 

AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE:

ESCAPE FROM RIVERDALE

Archie is back, with a lot more bite!

 Were you a fan of Archie and the Gang growing up? Maybe you were a casual reader, maybe you devoured every every issue the minute it was in your hands and read every variation, or maybe you have no clue who this redhead and his friends are....

It doesn't matter what your relationship with the kids from Riverdale is, if you are a fan of a good story, great artwork and an amazing horror story then this is the book for you.

"But Alyssa, this is a COMIC BOOK!" You might be telling your screen. "I don't read comic books!" you may be saying. 

To that I reply, this is the book that will make you start.

Here I am reading Archie Afterlife on my way to work at Knotts Scary Farm!


SYNOPSIS:
 (From Goodreads)

 When Jughead's beloved pet Hot Dog is killed in a hit and run, Jughead turns to the only person he knows who can help bring back his canine companion—Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Using dark, forbidden magic, Sabrina is successful and Hot Dog returns to the land of the living. But he's not the same... and soon, the darkness he brings back with him from beyond the grave begins to spread, forcing Archie and the gang to try to escape Riverdale! Collects issues 1-5 featuring the first storyline "Escape from Riverdale" from the new ongoing TEEN+ comic book horror series Afterlife with Archie.

REVIEW:

Again, I have always been a BIG Archie fan. Archie Double Digest was always the treat I picked out when we went to the store. And of course no matter how much I tried to savor it I always had it finished within the hour. 

What I haven't always been a fan of is ZOMBIES. Honestly, they never seemed all that scary to me. I mean yes, I have discussed a Zombie Apocalypse with friends and family. And sure I kind of have a plan if I was met with such a situation. And if my husband turned it would break my heart but I would off him as soon as I realized. But honestly? I haven't seen that many movies/t.v. shows or read many books that told a fascinating zombie story.

With that being said, I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING LOVED Afterlife with Archie: Escape from Riverdale.

The new direction they have taken Archie in is amazing. The artwork is fantastic, better than any Archie I have ever read. (Did you not see how amazing the video was? If not here are some more graphics for you...)




 The realities of facing a Zombie Apocalypse seem so real in the way it has been presented in this Graphic Novel. Any fan of Archie and the Gang will read on in horror and heartbreak as one by one beloved characters are affected in horrifying ways.

It begins with an act of loss, love and friendship. Who knew what seemed like a selfless act could lead to such horror.



I have never read an Archie comic filled with so much raw emotion. Gone is the carefree whimsy you usually encounter when picking up an Archie Comic. Gone are the random bursts of giggling you would usually hear as I curled up in bed with my latest issue. Archie Afterlife is a terrifying look at the devastation and widespread loss that a Zombie Apocalypse would bring. Characters are developed even more fully and you see sides of them that you never could have guessed at. (Spoiler Alert!!! Did you know certain members of the Archie Gang identify on the LGBT spectrum?)

I will admit that I actually cried while reading Archie Afterlife. Seeing the heartbreak and love between characters was touching. I could clearly identify with what the members of the gang were facing. I don't know if faced with a similar situation that I would be able to be as brave and courageous as some of these characters, but I hope that I could be.


And honestly, can you blame Jughead for his actions? What lengths would you go to if you knew it would bring back a beloved pet?
This. This is the issue that made me bawl like a baby.


Overall PHENOMENAL! Couldn't put it down and I cannot wait for Part Two and to reread this one over and over. Not to be missed.

I highly suggest that you RUN not walk to your local comic book store and pick this one up. (Seriously go to a comic book store, don't just order online, they need your support guys!) 

RATING: 5/5 
WHO SHOULD READ THIS? 
My first answer is EVERYONE! But I highly suggest this Graphic Novel to any fans of the following:
Fans of the original Archie comics
Fans of the Sabrina Comics or TV Show
If you can't get enough of The Walking Dead
If you like campy zombie movies like Fido or Shaun of the Dead

And if you enjoyed Pride Prejudice and Zombies
 

No comments:

Post a Comment