Pages

Let's Connect

Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest Follow on Goodreads

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Review: Dualed

 
 SYNOPSIS:

In the city of Kersh, everyone must eliminate their genetic Alternate twin, raised by another family, before their twentieth birthday. West Grayer, 15, has trained as a fighter, and has one month to hunt and kill her Alt. A tragic misstep shakes her confidence. Guilty, grieving, she feels unworthy, runs from her Alt and from love - both can destroy her.


REVIEW:

  Elsie Chapman brings us another "teens killing teens in a twisted not too distant crazy government run dystopian future" novel with Dualed. I know that sounded snarky but this is a common theme right now and Dualed's synopsis excited me and I was disappointed when I found it to be an average book that mostly just passed the time.

    I was drawn in by the synopsis of Dualed. The story of a fifteen year old girl living in a city where everyone must "eliminate" their genetic alternate twin before they turn 20. West has trained her entire life for the moment that the board would tell her that it was time for her to take out her Alt. But when the time comes all of a sudden she doesn't know if she can do it.   

    Chapman drops the reader into the story right away. As I was reading I stopped several times to make sure that this was the first book in the series and I hadn't skipped a book or too. I didn't like that there was no build up of character's or world building at the beginning of the novel, I felt I was expected to know too much with no information.

    Time also seems to jump while you are reading but there is no clear indication of how much time has passed or even that it is passing. All of a sudden it's just months in the future sometimes mid chapter. It didn't happen often but when it did it was very confusing.

    Dualed was entertaining enough but didn't fully hold my attention. It passed the time but I wont be racing to buy the next one in the series. It's a good book if you are going through Divergent or Hunger Games withdrawals and you want something similar to help ween you away from the series.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment