Pages

Let's Connect

Follow on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest Follow on Goodreads

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Review: Don't Even Think About It

 17560541

 

 

Synopsis:  

 We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.
So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.

Review:

When I was invited to read Don't Even Think About it I was so excited! I really wanted to read this one. I love books about normal kids getting weird powers and having to learn to deal with them. I even posted on Facebook how excited I was to read the book. And then I read it. I stayed up until 5 a.m. reading it. I was so very disappointed.
   
    Don't Even Think About It follows multiple characters. Which makes sense since the kids can all hear one anothers thoughts. I liked that the story was told from a hive mind point of view and this is about the only thing I liked about Don't Even Think About It. But it didn't necessarily work as the story flipped from person to person and the thoughts that were bombarding them and how they were handling their new found telepathy. The Hive mind also sounded like it was one teen girl narrating the events that took place and not a single group. It was a good try but it didn't work.

    Although the novel is about all 22 students that received the flu shot and developed telepathy the story focuses on Mackenzie Feldman, Cooper Miller, Olivia Byrne, Tess Nichols, and Pi. Mackenzie and Copper are kind of the "it couple" on campus. Mackenzie is gorgeous but she isn't kind hearted and she self sabotage. I can relate to that I am a big self sabotager. But she thinks so many hurtful things about her best friend, she lies and cheats and seriously hurts Cooper. I just couldn't like her no matter how much I tried. Copper is funny and sweet. He is one of the few characters I found likeable and enjoyed reading about. Olivia is shy and self conscious but really very sweet and smart. She deals with a lot of home issues and she to is likeable but the way she is written she doesn't pop of the page like a real character. Everything feels very forced. Tess fulfills the roll of self conscious side kick and her whining and moaning kind of got on my nerves. I wanted to slap her and tell her to grow a pair. And Pi. Pi is just a selfish, manipulative and domineering personality. I disliked her most of all.

    So I was disappointed. I thought I was going to love this book and I just didn't. Maybe I went in with my expectations too high. This is a book you would grab to entertain you on a plane or the bus or perhaps you might shove it in your beach bag. If you read it I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Rating: 2/5

   

No comments:

Post a Comment